ID: 07271 No.9811[Last 50 Posts]
I hesitate to post this, given the never-ending shitstorm that seems to surround Goblins, but we haven't had a thread in a while, and something big is (supposedly) coming down the pipe.
Thunt has created a rough animatic as proof-of-concept for a Goblins animated series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km9RAIeccBQ
), and has created a Kickstarter campaign (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1369986283/goblins-animated/
) to fund it.
Professional voice acting.
Minmax - Billy West
Forgath - Maurice LaMarche
Thaco - Jim Cummings
Kore - Steve Blum
Complains - Phil LaMarr
Kin - Jennifer Hale
The animatic is surprisingly smooth, despite the rough linework.
Thunt claims to have learned his lesson after the clusterfuck that was his last fundraiser, and says he actually has legal representation to keep things running smoothly.
Each episode is short, at ten minutes long.
Each episode is fucking expensive. The initial campaign goal is nearly half a million dollars, with stretch goals for subsequent episodes at $150-200K each.
As a result, backer tiers are very costly (ranging from $15 for a digital download key to $10,000 for tons of shit), and almost all of them promise loads of rewards, which begs the question of whether or not they'll actually be fulfilled.
We're all familiar with Thunt's problems, both personal and financial.
The campaign is using a dumb "quest system" to unlock campaign information; i.e., it took 1,000 Facebook likes to reveal that Jennifer Hale would play Kin.
After nearly a week, the campaign has raised less than $70,000, which seems low for Goblins, given how inexplicably popular it's always been.
ID: b046d No.9812
Lmao, someone already got the 10,000 USD reward.
Didn't he sort of scammed everyone with his last kickstarter?
ID: b9aba No.9813
On one hand, It has some big names behind it.
On the other hand I was burned by the previous Goblins Kickstarter.
I would be happy to see what comes of it, but I won't be donating.
ID: b9aba No.9814
It wasn't him that scammed people, he didn't get any of the money. He licenced it to another game design company, they took the money and ran.
ID: b046d No.9815
Maybe is just me, but that "it wasn't me, someone else stole the money" is way too common in kickstarter scams.
ID: 55276 No.9816
Yeah, even if he was completely innocent in that, he was still an enabling factor. Doesn't lend him a lot of credibility.
Does he actually have these people lined up, or is that just his "dream cast" and surely if he gets enough money he'll be able to hire them?
More than that, isn't this the guy that can't be relied on to post pages of a fairly simply-drawn webcomic, even with a delay on the colors, on a regular basis? I mean I heard he was doing a bit better after getting over his long bout of sadbrains, but you think you're gonna add a bunch of pressure to him to get out a bunch of ten-minute episodes done and that's gonna go smooth? Even assuming he can successfully adapt the absolutely glacial pace of his comic into something that works for animation.
This has "fucking disaster" written all over it even if it's not a scam.
ID: b9aba No.9817
The cast is in the launch video. on tape. So, yeah. They are lined up. seems legit.
ID: b046d No.9818
what happened to the comic anyways? last I knew the dwarf was going to get killed by the crazy paladin dwarf, and the lamia now hated the barbarian guy
ID: 07271 No.9819
- Minmax and Forgath use the magic tea to teleport to the Goblin party's location. Kin remains behind in the Maze of Many, since she wants the teapot itself, which has to be carried out of the dungeon.
- The Goblins are being hunted by Kore and are trapped against the entrance to a dungeon crawl, the puzzle for which they are having difficulty solving. Upon sighting Kore, Minmax and Forgath establish a truce with the Goblins. Minmax helps the Goblins open the door to the dungeon, but it slams shut as soon as they enter, leaving Forgath trapped outside with Kore.
- Forgath is no match for Kore, but is able to knock his helmet off, revealing him to be some variety of undead. Badly wounded, Forgath rolls off the bridge they're fighting on so that Kore can't take his soul; Kore continues into the dungeon in pursuit of the Goblin party.
- Forgath is rescued by several Kliks that bond to his body, healing his severe injuries and saving his life. This gives him a bizarre, amalgamated appearance, as parts of his body have been replaced by stone and metal.
- Having lost both Kin and Forgath, Minmax suffers a nervous breakdown. Complains wants to kill him, but Thaco stops him, saying there's no point. Minmax reluctantly joins the Goblin party, but forms an unlikely bond with Fumbles.
- Forgath encounters Bowst and Idle (a human and elf, respectively) who are both afflicted with a large number of curses after surviving a dungeon crawl. They are accompanied by Ward, a Klik that ate Bowst's cursed sword and acquired all of its attributes (including the ability to talk). They recruit Forgath into their party in the hope that he can begin removing their numerous curses once he levels up.
- During the night, one of the Kliks inhabiting the chasm where Bowst and Idle have been staying eats part of Forgath's shapeshifting weapons, causing it to become warped and corrupted (according to Ward; we don't see this happen). Ward orders the party to find and kill the renegade Klik before it destroys the realm.
- Minmax and the Goblin party navigate the dungeon crawl. Little of note happens, although Big Ears is incidentally revealed to be gay.
- During a battle, the Axe of Prissan shatters. Demonic energy and creatures begin to pour out of the broken axe. Big Ears initially believes that this is due to his own dishonorable behavior (i.e., attacking Kore from behind), but later deduces from a conversation with a demon that the axe was designed to break eventually.
- This same conversation contains a lot of exposition about Kore and the Greyhill Paladins, but it's very confusing and hard to keep straight. The short version is that the axe isn't really a demonic prison, but a bridge between hell and the mortal realm. A demon god is attempting to use the axe to break through, and when he does, the realm will be transformed into an extension of hell.
- With no obvious way to destroy or dispose of the axe, the Goblins plan to perform a ceremony that will name one of their party as the new teller of their clan, who will in turn be able to name a new chief. The chief will then be able to pray directly to the Goblin god for assistance in dealing with the axe.
- While discussing their plans, the party happens upon a large hoard of loot, but one of the treasures is a booby-trapped grenade that destroys all of the other treasure and nearly kills several Goblins. The decision is made to perform the teller ceremony immediately, as tellers gain access to low-level cleric spells and healing magic. Because Fumbles is the only remaining able-bodied Goblin, he is selected to become teller.
- The ceremony begins, but is disrupted by demons from the axe. Fumbles survives, but ends up absorbing a large number spirits, making him a very powerful teller.
- Meanwhile, Forgath, Bowst, and Idle hunt for the rogue Klik, but they begin to notice the landscape changing. Demonic energy from the Axe of Prissan is leaking into the realm and beginning to corrupt it. Fissures are opening up in the ground, monsters are popping up out of nowhere…
… and that brings us to where we are now.
ID: e49bb No.9829
You sure they aren't seeking the klik that was bonded to Dies' hand?
ID: 07271 No.9830
Pretty sure, though Ward could be referring to the same Klik. It's not entirely clear. Dies hasn't appeared at all since his Klik died
, and that was five years ago.
ID: 07271 No.9846
Kickstarter campaign cancelled today after raising less than 25% of the requested money (automatically refunded). A "leaner" campaign is supposed to launch on Indiegogo in a week.https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/goblins-animated-2nd-edition/coming_soon
ID: c9b98 No.9849
"Week to week, Tarol Hunt has taken us through the incredible world of Goblins, making fans laugh, gasp, and cry for over a decade."
"week to week"
ID: 07271 No.9889
So, the campaign has been retooled. They realized that their expenses were way too high versus what they were actually going to produce, so rather than create 10-minute episodes, they want to create a single 5-minute sizzle reel to entice an existing media entity to fund a full Goblins animated series. The cost has been lowered to $250,000, but backer tiers are still expensive.
ID: bdd50 No.9899
I'm reminded of that swatkats kickstarter, could only afford to do a teaser in the hope a media entity would pick them up.
Doesn't seem like they were successful in that regard either, don't see why Goblins would be any different, even if they are still relevant.
ID: 55276 No.9902
I still fail to see how Goblins lends itself to an animated series. Thunt's pacing and content are just not suited to it, at all… the animation would either be written so differently that it wouldn't even be Goblins, or the writing would be just plain awful (regardless of whether you feel it's awful now).
ID: bdd50 No.9903
I find that his writing style has more reliance on off-hand banter than it does with action intense conversation. It's there, but it doesn't lend itself well to the pacing of the combat involved except for puns based on the previous off-hand banter. I think the worst offender was the exposition involved with the Axe of Prissan when Big Ears first encountered it in the hands of Saral Caine.
ID: e49bb No.9969
So it seems we broke our vow to talk about goblins again a month before kin returns in the comic. Granted not everyone agreed to it, and the topic at hand was an interesting one (animated series and all).
My money is on the theory that Thunt is introducing her so that they may hopefully see more bling come to the project.
ID: b9aba No.9971
I won't be posting it, but I hope she murdered the other kin once she founds out what she did.
ID: 36ffb No.10063
"We’ve got two weeks left and we’re not quite halfway! We’re asking you to send two friends to http://igg.me/at/goblinsanimated
… and help us hit 50%!"
ID: e49bb No.10066
If you ask me, he should of waited another year before he started this project.
ID: b9aba No.10085
I'm not getting attached. I'm leaving my cold dead heart where it was. I have no hope for this.
ID: b9aba No.10086
>>10084>Kin has a slight purple glow to her eyes. >Minmax has a slight green glow to his eye
ID: 36ffb No.10094
there's any meaning behind that?
ID: bdd50 No.10095
It signifies that they are linked, so they subconsciously feel each other.
ID: 07271 No.10143
Well, the campaign reached its goal; they're at about 105% of funding, with a few hours left to go, so we'll get the concept trailer, if nothing else.
ID: bdd50 No.10169
I wish him better health and a swift recovery, but I'm pretty sure this'll set him back financially, canadian healthcare or not.
ID: 5bf82 No.10170
Not to be that guy, but isn't this convenient timing?
Thunt's done a runner with dollar before. He'll do it again.
ID: e49bb No.10178
On one hand, it wouldn't be surprising if he does it again.
On the other, standing up voice actors (and popular ones at that) is a surefire way to lose your own status as a respectable person (I'd say artist, but this is a common sense thing).
ID: 63aad No.10203
I'm honestly going to call bullshit on this. Is too convenient
ID: b9aba No.10208
Well, I'm not sure what the angle is if he gets better.
And faking your own death is a hard sell to me.
Anyway, surgery apparently went well.https://twitter.com/GoblinsAnimated/status/948309313575182336
ID: 5bf82 No.10224
Cue the hurrr durrr must put the project on hold guys whilst I go and build another house with all your money.
Fucking baldy twat gets away with murder.
ID: 07271 No.10225
Thunt blogs about everything that's happened since Christmas.
ID: c8608 No.10529
Thunts gotten loads better, especially with hair.
Used to be his hair would always look like greasy moss.
ID: 5d136 No.10534
Thunt doesn't do the coloring anymore, so he doesn't really deserve the credit in the hair department. Though I do think he has improved overall.
ID: 55276 No.10652
I'm pretty sure you don't actually hire Tara Strong, she just shows up at any given voice acting job, even the unadvertised ones.
ID: e49bb No.10667
When in doubt, drop the over-powered NPC off a ledge.
Seems to be a thing with dwarves for Thunt though.
ID: 6b868 No.10668
I am way out the loop when it comes to this comic. How comes her tail seems to be impervious to damage?
ID: b9aba No.10669
It got exploded by psionic minmax then restored with force energy.
ID: 55276 No.10978
How they gonna call Minmax stupid for assuming it was going to try to kill them horribly when practically everything else they've ever encountered in their lives was trying to kill them horribly?
ID: 22002 No.10980
I know. Maybe stupid for chasing it around a corner away from the rest of the group, but not attacking first
ID: 07271 No.11132
I'm beginning to think that Kin lost some INT points when she took a class.
ID: e49bb No.11283
Wait, is that her leash?!
ID: 73f24 No.11284
I think it is a strand of her hair
ID: 4e245 No.11342
That's not creepy minmax…
ID: 31d8c No.11723
Man I hate this comic
ID: 259d1 No.11762
It's fair to hate it, Thunt's activities have been controversial for ages, the 'animated series' debacle being a good one.
So far the comic itself isn't terrible, though frankly this current klik situation is too similar to Dies'. Right up there with an arm being a negative for it.
ID: 55276 No.11880
Y'know, I think one of the biggest problems with Goblins is that the art style and the way actions are conveyed are too cartoony and goofy to be properly taken seriously in most situations, and yet it's too ugly and stark to look cartoony enough that the contrast seems deliberate and meaningful. It's just sort of… in this muddy middle ground where it doesn't quite fit anything.
It kind of reminds me of Andrew Dobson's work in some ways. While Thunt obviously puts more work into it and has come a long way from where he started as opposed to Dobson's eternal stagnancy and even degeneration, he still seems to be chaining himself to a handful of lazy, kind of stunted characteristics that aren't doing the comic any favors, but are recognizable as his "style". Like the weird flat faces, the wobbly outlines of a lot of stuff, the jerky little double-motion "wham wham!" type actions.
ID: 916a0 No.12152
And this is why this comic is bs
ID: 55276 No.12153
Yeah, the problem with this "shocking twist" is that even if it was actually planned out ahead of time, it was written and delivered so poorly that it seems like an asspull anyway.
ID: 259d1 No.12157
Not to mention even if he is raised from the dead, Dies has effectively bypassed his fate already, at least on the horribly spectrum. Forgath won't be treading new ground, so to speak.
ID: 259d1 No.12407
And now Forgath is an abomination like his other fellow dwarf.
No, not the bunny one.
ID: 345cd No.12409
The birth of the Warforged race
ID: 50fdb No.12446
Wow, 1 1/2 pages and his death is completely meaningless.
ID: 55276 No.12448
I'm not actually defending the writing here, but I will say that the obvious change of life Forgath has just undergone is not "meaningless".
Goblins is at least trying to be about the characters and their feelings and emotions. So this sort of thing isn't just scratching out one species on the character sheet, writing in another, and continuing on with no reaction. Or at least I assume so.
Anyway, really what I'm trying to say is, death isn't the only meaningful thing, having other massive life shakeups resulting from what is essentially a near-death experience is a perfectly valid technique.
ID: 07271 No.12834
So Thunt (or "Ellipsis") is trans now and says that her coping with that was the cause of her mental breakdown(s).
ID: 12615 No.12835
Also the aneurism and brain damage probably didn't help
ID: be7f9 No.12836
What the fuck ever, just update the comic.
ID: 55276 No.12837
Is there some sort of collage of eyerolling gifs I can use in response to this?
ID: 259d1 No.12839
…For fucks' sake. She hasn't learned anything. Protip to coming out as a gender identity: keep it to those close to you if you've been at your rodeo for years with all the bumps in the road to show for it. Forcing it down on those who have come to hate you, is going to defeat the point of turning that new leaf to begin with, for now they have fresh ammo that you've just given them to shoot you with in your new dress with all the swanky frills. All she needed to do was keep Thunt as the stage name, and Ellipsis as her personal name. Don't need the world's recognition, just those who matter to you.
ID: b9aba No.12996
Put the helmet on him and run away
ID: 74602 No.13226
He did cut off his ears to make the helmet fit.
ID: 1456f No.13235
I guess we'll find out
ID: 50fdb No.13339
They really just gonna let him go like that? Guess they gotta save some giant epic battle for the end.
Also, more gore!